You may have seen the word “EAT” in the last few months. And have you thought about what the EAT algorithm is? This new algorithm, while the term has been in the SEO dictionary for some time, did not make as much noise as Google’s previous algorithms . Jobs and webmasters should pay special attention to it.
So why are we talking about it now? Gone are the days when we could get a site up and running on Google overnight. To rank well on Google, you need to strengthen your brand with your Expertise , Authority and Trustworthiness , which is exactly what EAT it shows.
In this article, we review the three principles of EAT and give tips on how to combine each in the content strategy we share so we can get the best search rankings.
How does EAT work and which sites is most affected?
But at first, this update seemed to hit more than any other website offering health and medical advice. It also encountered many other websites that could be classified as “sites”.
Digital marketers are known for using specific terms and having acronyms, but this time it was Google itself that added and EAT to these confusing terms.
EAT stands for “Your Money or Your Life” and is a term used by Google for pages that could potentially affect users’ happiness, health, financial stability or safety. In fact, Google not only cares about providing the most relevant information, but also wants to provide the most accurate and best information.
Therefore, when it comes to health, financial, and safety issues, Google does not want to offer sites that share unreliable recommendations, comments, or content. Google wants to make sure that it introduces sites that have a high degree of Expertise, Authority and Trustworthiness, E_A_T stands for.
This is Google’s method of protecting users from poor quality, unreliable content that could cause irreparable harm to users.
If your business is in the areas of happiness, health, and financial stability, knowing the EAT algorithm is vital to you, so keep reading this article.
Google Search Quality Assessment Guidelines
The EAT algorithms are one of the most important Google algorithms known as “Google Search Quality Assessment Guidelines”.
In 2015, Google officially released guidelines for evaluating the quality of its search, and this showed us how a website is ranked in terms of quality from Google’s point of view.
Update 2018 instructions
One week after updating the guidelines in July 2018, Google did some things that had a significant impact: Quality evaluators are now being asked to monitor not only the EAT website but also the EAT content creators. This is great news.
So from now on, Google wants to see who the author of the main content of the page is and what credentials it has in relation to the topic, especially if the topic is.
Experience and expertise
Being an expert in the Oxford Dictionary is defined as “being very knowledgeable or skilled in a particular field.” However, having the expertise and knowledge alone can not drive traffic to your website from Google.
You need to understand how to share this knowledge and expertise in a way that engages people.
To do this, know what your audience wants and how to get the best information to them.
When webmasters ask the question, “How can your site rank be improved?” The answer to the question often seems to be something like, “Create great content that your audience will love.” Although this may seem like a simple answer, to be honest it’s a very concise answer to what I’ll write about in this article.
How to create specialized content?
Well, here are some tips to answer this question:
- Find out what your audience is looking for, then meet their needs more than expected. Start by researching keywords.
- Try to understand what searchers mean by the terms in which you discovered the research keyword.
You need to know if these searchers are consumers or people in your industry, depending on your exact situation, there are many situations, for example, you target a search term that is relevant to the topic, Try to consider a lot of terms or highlights that a beginner is unlikely to use.
- Content should be comprehensive yet simple. It depends on the formatting of your text to be digestible, using visual factors such as video or audio we want the user to understand the content without difficulty to the end.
- Think about the next questions a user may have and prepare content for them to answer. Complete and relevant content should have internal links and easy access. Everything is at your disposal to become a source of information.
It’s great to be an expert, but that’s just the beginning. When other experts or influencers cite you as a source of information, or when your name (or your brand) is synonymous with relevant topics, you are no longer just an expert, you are responsible for that information.
Here are some KPIs about credibility:
- Links from reputable and relevant websites are an important factor in ranking websites, and we certainly can not make any recommendations for SEO success without emphasizing this.
Note: When it comes to links, it’s all about building your domain credentials, which means we want relevant reputable websites to recommend us to users, and no credibility is better than that.
Once you get the perfect links, simply mentioning them in the news or on reputable websites will increase your credibility with Google, so getting those links is something you should strive for.
- We can use the Moz Domain Authority score to understand the power of the website. This can be used to take a quick look at our own website or to the websites that link to us and give us a glimpse of the current level.
- Another valid measure of credibility and reliability is a score that is worth trusting. If you can get a score close to 1.0, then you can say that everything is going well.
- If your content is widely, genuinely and consistently shared on social media, it will also increase credibility and trust.
- Creating a brand is a good idea for many reasons, including the power of SEO. Brand search volume is a good measure of your brand performance. If more people are looking for your brand, this is amazing news. This is even better if they link your brand to a relevant keyword.
- Having a Wikipedia page for your brand or your company is a big signal that you are a reputable authority. Remember, getting a Wikipedia page is not easy unless you are a well-known person / brand.
Proven reliability is really important. While expertise and credibility are the factors that increase your ranking, unreliability, or rather lack of it, is something that can easily lower your ranking in Google. Basically, you need to make your customers happy, and if you have a complaint, you need to address it before the negative reviews get too strong on your brand. Google is very sensitive in this regard in its instructions and considers it a sign of low quality.
Positive reviews on places like TripAdvisor, Trust pilot, Facebook, Google My Business, etc. will be really helpful. If you operate in the United States, Canada, or Mexico, you should encourage good feedback, especially at here.
Some of the ways we can increase the reliability of our website are:
- Having an easy and clear way to communicate with website owners.
- Linking the website to a physical location, ie the address of your office or store
- Have a business term or T & C page, which is easily accessible to users.
- Ensure the security of your website domain. Proper implementation of HTTPS is important to Google and ensures that any data that your users’ input is not intercepted by a third party.
- If you have a transaction port, you must have clear refund policies and returns.
- If you are selling a product, try to include the full specifications of the product and any safety advice that may be relevant.
- In general, if you are sharing information on a variety of topics, it is a good idea to include a biography of the author and cite external sources if necessary. Linking to reputable sites is very useful and good.
If you share information on a topic, especially medical, health and financial topics, you must have proven expertise, credibility and reliability for Google to recommend your content.
When Google recommends a page to a user, they do not want to read the wrong information (fake news), especially when it can affect their health, financial status or happiness. Fake advice is never good, but it is the worst when it comes to these issues.
Adhering to the EAT algorithm as a framework when working on digital marketing of your business means that you have a comprehensive approach to SEO and content marketing . Covering these three points is a smart move, especially if you want to rank pages on Google for the best search terms in your industry.
This may be bad news for those who are looking for a quick win. But expertise, credibility, and reliability take time to create and nurture, with no real shortcuts. It is important to remember that the days when you could appear overnight and get Google results pages are long gone.
The criteria of the EAT algorithm, by definition, means the increasing growth of a brand and the presence of a positive online naturally. The good news, though, is that if you do it right and get a high EAT, you can hardly get away from Google hotpots.
In this article we tried to explain what is the EAT algorithm? And explain its impact on SEO and how it works
In 2022, the EAT algorithm was re-trended by Google, be sure to read the One Step Ahead with YouTube Marketing.